This Time Last Year...


Hard to believe that this time last year I was on one of the best vacations of my life.  I will be doing this in two parts because I spent one week in Salem, MA followed by a long weekend in Vegas.  Yes I’m crazy like that.  Since a huge group of my friends planned a small trip to Vegas for a friends 30th Birthday and I had already planned to be off for almost two weeks I felt a “staycation”would be way to boring.  So one of my close friends and I decided we would fly to Salem, MA and then meet our friends in Vegas.  I know a lot of flying; however, it wasn’t that bad. 
 
 
 
We arrived rather late in the evening but were too excited to stay in our room.  So out we went to find a place to eat.  We stumbled upon the Upper Crust.  BBQ pizza to die for!  We sat outside and enjoyed people watching.  Everyone is dressup up here.  There is a psychic on every corner, and there is a potion to solve any problem. 
 
The best start to my morning was visiting the local coffee shop.  I had a hot drink called the Snickers and boy was it good.  After that we went to The Witches Cottage for a short little play.  It's supposed to be scary but it's more funny and intended for children.  
 
 
I love window shopping and the vintage clothing was a great find.  My friend is the owner of Stella Jewelry so we never travel withought finding at least one bead shop for her to stock up. 
 
 
 There is a great resturant called the Great Escape.  It used to be a real prision and actually used to house the Boston Strangler. 
 

You can't go to Salem and not take a ghost tour.   The bank in the photo above used to be a morgue.  The tour guide told us that the body vaults are still there and the tellers have turned them into filing cabinets.  I used to work at a bank and let me just say I don;t know if i could use them everyday withought feeling weird. 
 
 
 
 We also decided to take a boat tour.  We lucked out and booked the perfect time.  The sunset was great and hearing all the stories about the area was pretty interesting.  We ended that night with dinner at Finz.  I ordered lobster mac & cheese.
 
 
This is the most popilar graveyard in Salem.  In the bottom photo I am holding my phone recording myself talking and asking questions to see if I pick up any spirits responding.  You never know right?  I haven't enhanced anything to see if I got anything yet...but I still have it saved.   
 
 
 
This place was pretty cool.  The Witch Dungeon explained how the accused witches were treated and punished.  Some of their cells were stand room only.  Can you imaging being in a 2x2 area and unable to ever sit?  I cant imagine sleeping would be easy.   
 
Advice...
If you plan to travel to Salem in October you must book a year in advance.  I'm not even kidding.  Your best bet is to book a bed & breakfast.  I don't suggest you stay in a hotel outside of the main area because transportation is insane.  Even though outside hotels are cheaper by the time you pay for transportation everyday you break even.  Also...Everything in downtown Salem closes around 10 pm on weekends with the exception of some bars. 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts